we'll calculate the corporation tax, dividend tax and income tax and compare them!
Check to see if you are using the most tax-efficient method
Calculate the tax on dividends against tax on salary
Just enter your company profits below
Dividend vs Salary 2020/2021
- New! - Updated for the 2020-2021 tax year.
- Updated for 2016/2017 using information from the 2015 Summer Budget Statement. The Dividend Tax system has seen a radical overhaul, with the removal of the tax credit. We have swapped out the calculation with the new system which sees a new Dividend Personal Allowance and updates to the three rates of tax.
- Updated for 2015/2016 using information from the 2014 Autumn Statement.
- We have included the dividend, corporation and income tax rates/bands for the 2014/2015 tax year.
- We have included the dividend, corporation and income tax rates/bands for the 2013/2014 tax year.
- 30th Sep 2012 - Update! - With changing state pension ages and allowances now based upon your date of birth, rather than age, we have updated the calculator so it requests your date of birth in order to accurately calculate your tax free allowances and check your state pension age. Updates for 2013/2014 have been included in the calculator such as the 37.5% Top Dividend Rate, other figures such as National Insurances are still to be confirmed.
- New! - We have included the dividend, corporation and income tax rates/bands for the 2012/2013 tax year.
- This calculator checks the tax on profits from a sole trader against a director taking the same profits as salary, or taking maximum dividend & salary.
- Dividends over £150,000 will be subject to a new higher rate 42.5% tax from 2010/2011
- In our illustration available Personal Tax Free Allowances are used to their maximum to reduce the company's profits before corporation tax, however as Personal Allowances are being reduced depending upon the gross annual income of the individual, a lower salary amount may be taken - this also applies where the firm profits do not have enough funds to pay employers nic's to cover the full personal allowance
- We take your age to calculate the accurate Personal Allowance amount - Make sure it's correct
- Please seek proper professional advice before making any important decisions
- If you find errors - let us know so we can fix them, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org